Skip to main content

1.  For as long as I can remember I have used Microsoft Word. MS Word has always been the word processing system expected to be used throughout my k-12 education. When I entered high school, teachers began introducing Google Drive which included Google Docs, Google Sheets, etc. At first, I did not like Google Docs, but as I entered college, all of my assignments were expected to be turned in virtually. As my courseload got a bit heavier on assignments, I started to feel that Google Docs seemed more streamlined than MS Word. Now, I prefer doing all of my assignments on Google Docs. I enjoy the way that all of my word documents are listed on the home page of Docs, and that my work is automatically saved. Furthermore, I think that Google Docs is easier to navigate for simple assignments because it lacks some of the “bells and whistles” that MS Word contains. Overall, MS Word and Google Docs are both great word processing systems, but I prefer the simplicity of Google Docs. 

2. The statement that I found the most meaningful was that educators should be “collaborators, specifically 2.4c which states “Use collaborative tools to expand students' authentic, real-world learning experiences by engaging virtually with experts, teams, and students, locally and globally.” I believe that this statement is the most meaningful for K-12 educators because real-world learning experiences were so vital in my education. Using real-world applications truly helped me grasp so many concepts. When educators can use technology to combine lessons with real-world “local and global” concepts, students can gain a grasp on the subject because they can apply it to their own lives. Also, I believe that being able to use virtual tools to engage and collaborate with students overall increases students' attention span and desire to learn. 

3. I do believe that the term “digital native” fits today's middle-to-upper class American youth. Although many young people are considered “digital natives”, many of the youth that cannot afford technology at home, or go to underfunded schools without good technological resources may not have the same experience and comfortableness with technology. Being a digital native means that one was brought up during the time of technology, which technology being commonplace within their lives. Also, digital natives are more likely to be able to grasp new concepts regarding technology as compared to “digital immigrants”. All of my life, I have been fortunate enough to be up-to-date on technology, but I can see a major difference between myself, and people like my teachers or parents when using technology. Many educators seem to be as comfortable with using technology as I am, but some are not. When an educator does not seem comfortable using technology, I believe that a student's education has the potential to be enhanced, or harmed. If the educator can effectively teach the “old-fashioned” way, then there is no need for technology. But, technology can also enhance a student's education massively. In the future, I expect that my students will be much more comfortable with the current technology than I am, but I also believe that if my current generation continues learning about technological innovations, the gap between “digital natives” and “digital immigrants” can close. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Journal #6

    Initially, I was very confused by Diigo, but after doing the participation assignments on Diigo, it made more sense to me. I thought the website seemed a bit “outdated” in its appearance, but then I realized it can be very useful for group collaboration, discussion, and resource sharing.  So far, I have loved the blogging experience! I think that posting these discussion posts and other information to my Blogger page has been much more interesting than simply posting to canvas! Furthermore, I enjoy how the blog is customizable to your needs and personal styles, and how different widgets can be added. The addition of widgets on the blog is a great touch! During the blogging process I have learned a lot about the layout and format of posts, and also how to make a website look appealing to others.  An interesting web 2.0 tool I have found to use while teaching is Khan Academy. I think that Kahn Academy is a great resource for students who need extra help quickly and cost-effectively.

Blog Journal #9

  This semester, I was a distance learner. Aside from this course, I had three other online courses, and one course in person. Due to the fact that I had one class in person, I am able to draw conclusions about the differences between online and in-person classes this semester. Personally, I really enjoy distance learning. I never had any online classes prior to COVID, but now, I actually find them more accommodating than in-person classes. I enjoy the flexibility of distance learning, and the ability to be able to work at your own pace, within reason. Something I dislike about distance learning is the accountability that you have to have over yourself to stay on track. Sometimes, if my life gets very busy, I do not sit down and watch lecture videos on the schedule I like to follow. With the flexibility of distance learning, also comes great accountability and responsibility that one must uphold for themselves. When I am a teacher, I plan on implementing a checklist schedule for studen

Blog Journal 7

  1. I believe that teacher pages on school websites are very important. Oftentimes, students and parents are interested in a class prior to taking it, and having teacher pages help students and parents assess if the class is right for the student. Furthermore, students do not always share teacher information with their parents, so it is important that the parents have an area where they can find course material and teacher contact information without the involvement of the student. Additionally, sometimes student websites may face problems like shutdowns and maintenance, so having a backup option for a teacher to display class information can come in handy.  The kinds of information that are seen publicly include information about the class, information about the teacher, and links to external sources. Some information about the class may include due dates, important assignments, and course expectations. Information about the teacher may include the teacher's background informat