Skip to main content

Blog Journal #9

 

  1. This semester, I was a distance learner. Aside from this course, I had three other online courses, and one course in person. Due to the fact that I had one class in person, I am able to draw conclusions about the differences between online and in-person classes this semester. Personally, I really enjoy distance learning. I never had any online classes prior to COVID, but now, I actually find them more accommodating than in-person classes. I enjoy the flexibility of distance learning, and the ability to be able to work at your own pace, within reason. Something I dislike about distance learning is the accountability that you have to have over yourself to stay on track. Sometimes, if my life gets very busy, I do not sit down and watch lecture videos on the schedule I like to follow. With the flexibility of distance learning, also comes great accountability and responsibility that one must uphold for themselves. When I am a teacher, I plan on implementing a checklist schedule for students that gets updated as the course progresses. With this checklist schedule, students can make sure they complete each necessary task. Additionally, I would host live lectures once a week that summarizes what has been taught in the previous week. 

  2. According to the “Open Educational Resources” page in canvas, open educational resources are “learning resources that anyone can access and use in a variety of ways, and they are typically distributed online. The concept of “open” is really about intellectual property rights.” Basically, open educational resources are learning resources that are free and open to the public. The OER that I have found is Kahn Academy. Kahn Academy is a free, open, online resource that has educational videos and assignments. Both teachers and students can find a use for Kahn Academy, and it is open to anybody! https://www.khanacademy.org/

  3. While working on the two PowerPoint assignments, I learned many things. When working on the first assignment, I was already aware of how to make a basic PowerPoint, but I did not know how to add narration behind the PowerPoint. I think that learning how to make a PowerPoint a “PowerPoint Show” was an extremely useful skill. I will be using that feature in the future. When working on the second assignment, I learned many things as well. The most important skill I learned is linking a PowerPoint slide to another slide. While making the jeopardy board, it was interesting to be able to click on the number of the jeopardy question and be directed to the slide! I was pretty confident in my PowerPoint skills prior to this assignment, but now I feel as if I am even more skilled in PowerPoint!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Journal #6

    Initially, I was very confused by Diigo, but after doing the participation assignments on Diigo, it made more sense to me. I thought the website seemed a bit “outdated” in its appearance, but then I realized it can be very useful for group collaboration, discussion, and resource sharing.  So far, I have loved the blogging experience! I think that posting these discussion posts and other information to my Blogger page has been much more interesting than simply posting to canvas! Furthermore, I enjoy how the blog is customizable to your needs and personal styles, and how different widgets can be added. The addition of widgets on the blog is a great touch! During the blogging process I have learned a lot about the layout and format of posts, and also how to make a website look appealing to others.  An interesting web 2.0 tool I have found to use while teaching is Khan Academy. I think that Kahn Academy is a great resource for students who need extra help quickly and cost-effectively.

Blog Journal 7

  1. I believe that teacher pages on school websites are very important. Oftentimes, students and parents are interested in a class prior to taking it, and having teacher pages help students and parents assess if the class is right for the student. Furthermore, students do not always share teacher information with their parents, so it is important that the parents have an area where they can find course material and teacher contact information without the involvement of the student. Additionally, sometimes student websites may face problems like shutdowns and maintenance, so having a backup option for a teacher to display class information can come in handy.  The kinds of information that are seen publicly include information about the class, information about the teacher, and links to external sources. Some information about the class may include due dates, important assignments, and course expectations. Information about the teacher may include the teacher's background informat